Sydney Heart & Lung Surgeons
The Sydney Heart & Lung Surgeons at the Heart Care Centre are an experienced group of academic cardiothoracic surgeons with clinical appointments at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital as well as Macquarie University Hospital.
The surgeons in the group – Professors Michael Vallely, Michael Wilson, Paul Bannon & Dr Michael Byrom – perform all aspects of adult caradiothoracic surgery, including minimally invasive and robotic cardiothoracic surgery. The surgeons in the group have a special interest in elderly and high-risk surgical patients and will tailor therapies to patients' specific needs.
- Aortic Surgery, including aortic root (including aortic valve sparing – David procedure), aortic arch, thoracoabdominal aortic surgery and hybrid-TEAVER approaches.
- Mitral valve and aortic valve repair surgery, including minimally invasive and robotic-assisted surgery.
- Minimally invasive atrial septal defect and intra-cardiac tumour surgery.
- Coronary artery bypass surgery including total arterial revascularisation anaortic off-pump surgery, robotic-assisted and minimally invasive coronary artery surgery.
- General thoracic surgery, including minimally invasive and robotically assisted lung and mediastinal surgery (including thymectomy).
- Pulmonary thrombo-endarterectomy surgery.
- Transcatheter valve surgery including aortic valve (TAVI) and mitral valve (Mitra-Clip) approaches.
- Electrophysiology implantation including pacemakers, defibrillators and cardiac-resynchronisation therapies.